Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Hawick Railway Station

Footbridge (19th Century), Goods Shed (19th Century), Railway Station (19th Century)

Site Name Hawick Railway Station

Classification Footbridge (19th Century), Goods Shed (19th Century), Railway Station (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) The Waverley Line; Edinburgh To Hawick Branch Railway; Border Union Railway

Canmore ID 88149

Site Number NT51NW 51.01

NGR NT 50514 15262

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/88149

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Hawick
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT51NW 51.01 50514 15262

For Teviot Viaduct see NT51NW 92

Station closed 1969, demolished late 1970's, site now occupied by Waverley (Hawick) Leisure Centre.

Information from RCAHMS (DE) November 1995

NT 5050 1530. Nothing survives of the station buildings, platforms or goods yard in an area now landscaped and covered by a sports centre.

The site of the original Hawick Station of 1849 lay about 81m W of that constructed after the Carlisle extension was completed in 1862. The original station described in the Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey (ONB) as 'A dwelling house for station master with offices, sheds and coal depots (NT 50437 15255), at the terminus of the Hawick Branch of the North British Railway' (Name Book 1858).

When the Carlisle extension was completed in 1862, a new station was constructed at the N end of the now demolished railway viaduct across the River Teviot. The 1st and 2nd editions of the OS 6-inch maps (Roxburghshire, 1863 and 1899, sheet xxv), depict the relative positions of the two stations. On the opening of the new station, the site of the original buildings were used as a goods depot.

The later station with covered footbridge closed in 1969 along with the rest of the Waverley Line and the buildings were completely removed when the Leisure Centre was built in the 1970s.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE), August 2006

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Station opened 01/11/1849 and closed on 06/01/1969.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions