Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Abercairny

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Abercairny

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Abercairny Abbey; Abercairny Castle; Abercairny House; Abercairny Policies; Abercarnie; Abercarney; Abercairney

Canmore ID 88063

Site Number NN92SW 25

NGR NN 91185 22411

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/88063

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Fowlis Wester
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN92SW 25.00 91185 22411

NN92SW 25.01 90429 22670 Dovecot

NN92SW 25.02 91242 22715 Sundial

NN92SW 25.03 90521 23168 Crieff Lodge

NN92SW 25.04 90222 22704 Garden Lodge

NN92SW 25.05 91684 23184 Perth Lodge

NN92SW 25.06 91207 23185 Mid Lodge

NN92SW 25.07 91842 22578 East Lodge

NN92SW 25.08 92057 21598 Auchlone Lodge

NN92SW 25.09 92047 21974 Sawmill

NN92SW 25.10 91820 22322 Burial-ground

NN92SW 25.11 91398 22557 Stable Block

NN92SW 25.12 91230 22642 East Walled Garden

NN92SW 25.13 90306 22606 West Walled Garden

NN92SW 25.14 91192 22511 Garden, Statuary

NN92SW 25.15 90855 23395 Milton of Abercairny

NN92SW 25.16 90860 23192 Abercairny Cottage

NN92SW 25.17 92108 21944 Currach Lodge

NN92SW 25.18 91764 21993 Estate Gasworks

NN92SW 25.19 91273 22533 Estate Gasworks

NN92SW 25.20 91780 21994 Ice-house

NN92SW 25.21 91852 22114 Mill Pond

NN92SW 25.22 91088 22196 Ponds

NN92SW 25.23 91876 22103 Sawmill, Pond and Lade

NN92SW 25.24 91219 22365 Sundial (E sundial)

NN92SW 25.25 91111 22393 Sundial (W sundial)

For cist and corn-drying kiln excavated within the policies (at NN 904 224), see NN92SW 16. For architectural fragments found within the policies (at NN 9176 2195 and 9116 2275), see NN92SW 68.

Abercairny [NAT]

OS 1:10000 map, 1989.

Architecture Notes

NN92SW 25.00 91185 22411

Demolished 1960.

Owner: Major J Drummond Moray

Architects:

Charles Freebairn (original) new dining wing 1755-6

Richard Crichton (completed by R & R Dickson) demolished 1960

John Douglas 1737-38 (Improvements to Abercairny House -original)

David Roberts decoration of interior, before 1818

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

SRO

Specification and estimates for: finishing the drawing room with ceiling, new bow window and statuary chimney piece; completing the principal stircase; making a portico, stone ballastrade. Robert Dickson Architect.

1820 GD24/1/702

Building of a Belfry. Architect Robert Dickson. Letter from James Buchan is concerned with the Mr. Dickson's 2nd (and more elaborate) plan. It also deals with the construction of parapet, pillars and pavement.

1841 GD24/1/722

Abercairny. Plans for the new house and some estimates

Architect: Archibald Elliot (1760-1823). 1803

Architect: Richard Chrichton (1771-1817). 1804

Letter accompanied drawings and estimaies which varied from #11,000 -#12,500 in 1806.

1803-6 Abercairny Papers GD24/1/624

Letter accompanying plans and sketches for garden. Lewis Kennedy to James Moray.

1813 GD24/5/128

A/C repairs and new house.

John Douglas 1737-38

Charles Freebairn (fairburn) & Wm Bell 1785

John Paterson

1796/97 GD24/1/624

Estimates A/Cs etc for North gallery and staircase.

1829-31 GD24/1/722 GD24/1/627

R Dickson 1853 Lodge and gateway for South approach

GD24/1/627

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions