Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mid Clyth, Roadside Farm, Cross Slab

Cross Slab (Early Medieval)

Site Name Mid Clyth, Roadside Farm, Cross Slab

Classification Cross Slab (Early Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Greenhill West

Canmore ID 8603

Site Number ND23NE 5

NGR ND 2939 3728

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Latheron
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Early Medieval Carved Stones Project

Mid Clyth 1, Caithness, cross-slab

Measurements: H 1.04m, W 0.58m, D 0.13m

Stone type: sandstone

Place of discovery: ND 2939 3728

Present location: built into a byre at Roadside Farm.

Evidence for discovery: found built into a stone dyke, the slab was built into a horse mill sometime before 1910. When the horse mill was dismantled in 1930, the stone was built into the corner of a byre.

Present condition: deteriorating from water damage.


One face bears a pecked outline cross with circular terminals to the arms.

Date: eighth century.

Desk-based information compiled by A Ritchie 2016


Field Visit (1910)

ND23NE 5 2939 3728

At the farm of Roadside, Mid Clyth, occupied by Mr George Sinclair, is a cross-bearing slab. It was found many years ago built into a stone dyke, and has been used as a cover on the top of the wall around the well containing the machinery of the horse mill at the back of the house. On its upper face is rudely carved, or picked out, a small cross. The slab measures 3' 5" in length by 1' 11" in breadth, and 5" in thickness. The cross is 1' 5" in extreme length and 1' 2" in breadth across the centre. The arms are 6" long and terminate in round discs 2 1/2" in diameter; and the lateral arms are slightly inclined upwards. The stem is 9" long.

Visited by RCAHMS, 16th July 1910

Field Visit (10 May 1967)

This cross-inscribed slab, as described and illustrated by the RCAHMS, was removed from the horse mill at ND 2941 3728 when the mill was destroyed in 1930, and built into the corner of a new byre at ND 2939 3728 (information from A O Sinclair, Greenhill, Mid Clyth, Caithness). Its original position cannot be ascertained, but it probably came from the graveyard 180 m to the E, where a similar stone (ND23NE 4) stands on the site of a Roman Catholic chapel.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (NKB), 10 May 1967.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions