Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lockerbie, Station Square, Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Lockerbie, Station Square, Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 85361

Site Number NY18SW 109

NGR NY 13748 81717

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/85361

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Dryfesdale
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY18SW 109.00 13748 81717

Lockerbie Station [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, August 2009.

NY18SW 109.01 NY 1377 8184 Engine shed

(Location cited as NY 137 818). Lockerbie station was opened in 1848 by the Caledonian Rly. A 2-platform through station, formerly with a bay at the N end; the main offices are on the down platform in a 1- and 2-storey rubble building with crow-stepped gable and formerly with a large glazed awning. The up-platform building, which was similar in style, has been demolished. The platforms are linked by a truss footbridge with boarded sides.

J R Hume 1976.

Lockerbie station was probably opened on 15 February 1848 as an intermediate station on the Glasgow-Carlisle ('Annandale route') main line of the Caledonian Rly, which forms the northern portion of the London(Euston) - Glasgow West Coast Main Line. A branch to Lochmaben was opened by the Dumfries, Lochmaben and Lockerbie Rly on 1 September 1863, subsequently incorporated into the Caledonian Rly, and closed on 18 December 1966. The station remains in regular use by passenger traffic, and the line has been electrified.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 25 July 1996.

J Thomas 1971.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions