Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

North Queensferry, Carlingnose Point

Gun Emplacement (20th Century), Observation Post (First World War), Submarine Mining Station (First World War)

Site Name North Queensferry, Carlingnose Point

Classification Gun Emplacement (20th Century), Observation Post (First World War), Submarine Mining Station (First World War)

Alternative Name(s) Forth Defences

Canmore ID 84209

Site Number NT18SW 124

NGR NT 1346 8078

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/84209

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Inverkeithing
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT18SW 124.00 1346 8078

The submarine mining station is situated just NE of Carlingnose Battery (NT18SW 105). The following remains are still extent, an observation post for controlling the minefield approaches, a D-shaped bolt ring for a gun and the remains of a pier for handling the mines. The rest of the remains have been demolished.

J Guy 1994; NMRS MS 810/3

NT18SW 124.01 13630 80877 Submarine Mining Pier

Site recorded by Maritime Fife during the Coastal Assessment Survey for Historic Scotland, Kincardine to Fife Ness 1996

Activities

Note (8 September 2017)

The observation post at NT 13447 80781 is depicted and annotated on plans of Carlingnose Battery held in the National Archives (WO 78/5175 and WO78/4396) and in the Fort Record Book (WO192/101).

On plans dating to 1904 (WO78/5175 it is recorded as a 'Combined S.M. Obst Station O.C.S.M. and E.L. Director' (submarine mining observer, Officer Commanding Submaring mining and electric light director).

In a plan of the battery dated to 1907 in the Fort Record Book (WO192/101) annotates the building as E.L.D (electric light director) post.

The building is annotated as F.C. (Fire Command Post) on a plan (WO78/5175 dated 20.1.15) of a proposed waiting room attached to the S side.

On a plan in the National Archives (WO78/4396) dated 28.5.16 shows a Port War Signal Station at this location.

Information from HES (Survey and Recording) (AKK) 8 September 2017

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions