Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Date 8 September 2017

Event ID 1026154

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Note


The observation post at NT 13447 80781 is depicted and annotated on plans of Carlingnose Battery held in the National Archives (WO 78/5175 and WO78/4396) and in the Fort Record Book (WO192/101).

On plans dating to 1904 (WO78/5175 it is recorded as a 'Combined S.M. Obst Station O.C.S.M. and E.L. Director' (submarine mining observer, Officer Commanding Submaring mining and electric light director).

In a plan of the battery dated to 1907 in the Fort Record Book (WO192/101) annotates the building as E.L.D (electric light director) post.

The building is annotated as F.C. (Fire Command Post) on a plan (WO78/5175 dated 20.1.15) of a proposed waiting room attached to the S side.

On a plan in the National Archives (WO78/4396) dated 28.5.16 shows a Port War Signal Station at this location.

Information from HES (Survey and Recording) (AKK) 8 September 2017

People and Organisations