Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Barnsmuir Colliery

Colliery(S) (Period Unassigned), Miners Row(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Barnsmuir Colliery

Classification Colliery(S) (Period Unassigned), Miners Row(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 84123

Site Number NS87SE 23

NGR NS 87 70

NGR Description Centred NS 87 70

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/84123

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Slamannan
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS87SE 23.00 centred 87 70

NS87SE 23.01 NS 8696 7043 Coal Mine (CSW 4489)

NS87SE 23.02 NS 8756 6986 Coal Mine, Pit No. 5 (CSW 4388 and 4389)

NS87SE 23.03 NS 8692 6999 Coal Mine, Pit No. 3 (CSW 4386)

NS87SE 23.04 NS 8733 7018 Coal Mine, Pit No. 2 (CSW 4490)

NS87SE 23.05 NS 8766 7019 Coal Mine, Pit No. 4 (CSW 4491)

NS87SE 23.06 NS 8650 7012 Coal Mines, including Pit No. 7 (CSW 4492 and 4493)

NS87SE 23.07 NS 8683 7046 Miners' Rows (CSW 4488)

Barnsmuir Colliery is depicted on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Stirlingshire 1899, sheet xxxv) as eight pits, three of which appear to have been disused or abandoned, and all of them are connected by branches of the mineral railway that leads via Limerigg to the Slamannan Railway Line (NS87SE 13), and there is a group of miners' cottages on the S of the road to Limerigg. All the pits were abandoned by 1903, including Pit No. 7, which operated separately as Holehousemuir Colliery prior to its abandonment in 1896 (Mines Department 1931). The greater part of the colliery is now distributed amongst a conifer plantation and the miners' rows, although ruins were visible, were too overgrown to be recorded in any detail (CSW 4488), whilst the site of an unlabelled pit, which is depicted on the 2nd edition OS map (ibid) as a bing at the end of a track to the NE of Pit No. 2, was not visited due to the density of the plantation.

(CSW 4488-93, 4386 and 4388)

Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 29 July 1992

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions