Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Binniehill Colliery

Coke Oven(S) (Post Medieval), Colliery (Post Medieval), Miners Row (Post Medieval), Settling Pond (Post Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Binniehill Colliery

Classification Coke Oven(S) (Post Medieval), Colliery (Post Medieval), Miners Row (Post Medieval), Settling Pond (Post Medieval)(Possible)

Canmore ID 84079

Site Number NS87SE 12.01

NGR NS 8530 7208

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/84079

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Slamannan
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS87SE 12.01 8530 7208

The main part of Binniehill Colliery, as depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Stirlingshire 1864, sheet xxxv), lies between the public road on the S and the line of the Slamannan Railway on the N. Although they were covered by dense undergrowth at the date of survey, two rows of coke ovens were located in the field to the NE of the present cottage at Binniehill, both of which are depicted on the early editions of the OS 6-inch map (Stirlingshire 1864 and 1899, sheet xxxv). The ovens are aligned NW to SE and that to the NE comprises a stand, 34m in length by 10m in breadth and about 1m high, with circular brick-lined kilns set into the edges of it, 2.8m in diameter (CSW 4470). The site of a coal pit is indicated by a hollow on the S side of the Slamannan Railway to the WSW of the coke ovens, whilst the miners rows that are depicted lining the N side of the road, to the SW of the present cottage, on the 1st and 2nd editions of the OS 6-inch map (ibid) have been demolished and could only be traced in the wall along the public road, which displays the blocked openings of the entrances and windows of the cottages.

(CSW 4470-4472)

Visited by RCAHMS (PJD) 30 July 1992

There is a largely infilled rectangular pond, aligned from NNW to SSE, to the N of the coal mine described previously and just to the S of the Binniehill Road. It is not shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Stirlingshire 1864, sheet xxxv), but is depicted on the 2nd edition of the same map (1899) as an open rectangle. The current edition of the OS 1:10560 map (1968) shows a pond. It may have been a settling pond associated with the mine.

Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 31 July 1996

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions