Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Georgemas Junction Station

Railway Junction (19th Century), Railway Station (19th Century)

Site Name Georgemas Junction Station

Classification Railway Junction (19th Century), Railway Station (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Georgemas Railway Junction; Georgemas Junction Railway Station

Canmore ID 8289

Site Number ND15NE 10

NGR ND 1550 5929

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/8289

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Halkirk
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND15NE 10 1550 5929

For railway cottages at ND 1558 5921, see ND15NE 12.

(Location cited as ND 154 593). Georgemas Junction Station, opened 1874 by the Sutherland and Caithness Rly. A two-platform through station, with a 2-storey, 3-bay platform building incorporating a dwelling house. There are a lattice-girder footbridge by Oliver and Arrol, Edinburgh, 1881, two typical Highland Rly signal boxes, and the stone base of a water tower. Nearby are a snow blower, similar to that at Scotscalder, and a range of three railwaymen's cottages (ND15NE 12).

J R Hume 1977.

This, the most northerly railway junction in the British Isles, is situated at the division of the Wick and Thurso terminal lines of the 'Far North' line of the (former) Highland Rly. It was opened (by the Sutherland and Caithness Rly.) on 28 July 1874, and remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 17 November 2000.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions