Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Ramscraigs, The Aisle, Graveyard

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Sheepfold (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Ramscraigs, The Aisle, Graveyard

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Sheepfold (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Trist Marian; Tuit Marian; Lat 288

Canmore ID 8041

Site Number ND12NW 11

NGR ND 1474 2714

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/8041

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Latheron
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND12NW 11 1474 2714

(ND 1474 2714) The Aisle (Grave Yard) (NR)

OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)

About half an acre of ground enclosed by a stone wall, on the S side of the county road, and W of Allt na Caorach, said to have been a place of interment before the Reformation. It is known by some of the oldest inhabitants as 'Tuit Marian' (Grave of Marian) on account of a person of that name who fell over the rocks, having been buried in it last, but generally known now as 'The Aisle'. From minute inquiry no written record can be found. Information depends solely on the local informants consulted.

OS Name Book 1872.

'The Aisle' is now in use as a sheep fold. The interior is entirely featureless.

Visited by OS (W D J), 24 June 1960.

(ND 1474 2714) The Aisle (NR) or Trist Marian (NR)

OS 6" map (1965).

The name 'The Aisle' and the tradition of burials still survive; otherwise no further information.

Visited by OS (R L), 6 March 1968.

A roughly circular area, 15m in diameter, enclosed by a stone wall.

C Batey 1982.

The Aisle (name verified), believed locally to be a graveyard of shipwrecked mariners, but there are no traces of graves. The surrounding stone wall appears to be fairly modern, but it may have been built upon an earlier wall visible as a turf-covered stony swelling at the base of the present enclosure.

Visited by OS (N K B), 6 December 1982.

Activities

Field Visit (24 June 1960)

'The Aisle' is now in use as a sheep fold. The interior is entirely featureless.

Visited by OS (W D J) 24 June 1960.

Field Visit (6 March 1968)

The name 'The Aisle' and the tradition of burials still survive; otherwise no further information.

Visited by OS (R L) 6 March 1968.

Project (1980 - 1982)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions