Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Brims Castle

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Brims Castle

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Mains Of Brims

Canmore ID 8018

Site Number ND07SW 3

NGR ND 04331 71018

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/8018

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Thurso
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND07SW 3 04331 71018

(ND 0433 7102) Castle (NR) (rems of)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1975)

The remains of Brims Castle, a late 16th-century rubble-built tower house on the L-plan consisting of a crow-step gabled main block, three storeys and an attic in height, lying E-W with a projecting stair wing in the NE. An open wall-head turret commands the entrance at first floor level in the E of the stair wing. A courtyard to the N has been filled with later subsidiary buildings on the E, but on the W there remains part of the high curtain wall, containing a round-arched and mouled gateway, surmounted by an empty heraldic panel space.

Still partly occupied as part of the adjoining farm, Brims Castle belonged to the Sinclair family.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; RCAHMS 1911; N Tranter 1962-70.

Brims Castle is now partly unroofed.

Revised at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (N K B) 28 October 1964.

Brims Castle is now a roofless shell in a dangerous state.

Revised at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (N K B) 13 August 1981.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions