Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Thing's Va

Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Site Name Thing's Va

Classification Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Canmore ID 7778

Site Number ND06NE 1

NGR ND 0808 6824

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/7778

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Thurso
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND06NW 1 0808 6824.

(ND 0808 6824) Thing's Va (NAT) Broch (NR)

OS 6" map, (1969)

A broch, partly excavated, on the centre of a mound 110ft in diameter, which is cut off from the higher level to the N by a ditch 30ft wide, 8ft deep below the top of the scarp and about 4ft below the top of a bank on the counter-scarp.

The broch stands 18 to 20ft from the edge of the ditch, and measures 30ft internally and probably 60ft externally (judging by the given length of the passage, 15ft). The external wall has not been cleared but the internal wall is exposed at several points. The unroofed passage in the SE has walls standing to a maximum height of 4ft and two sets of door-checks, between which, on the right, is the apparent entrance to a guard chamber, the inner edge of which is visible although neither passage nor chamber has been cleared. The inner left wall of the passage is concealed by a secondary wall which curves to the right into the interior of the broch, and another secondary wall is visible 9ft to the left of it in the uncleared interior.

The name 'Thing's Va' is a corruption of 'Thing-vollr', Norse for a local court or assembly.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.

The remains of a broch as described by the RCAHMS. A small cell at a higher level on the left inside the entrance has been exposed by excavation. A slight bank which runs off to the W from the outer defensive bank, a small oval mound on the NE end of the bank and another oval mound to the SE of it, are not necessarily coeval with the broch.

Re-surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (R D) 25 February 1965.

'Thing's Va', a turf-covered broch partially exposed in old excavation trenches, is generally as described by the previous authorities. The 'small cell' noted by previous OS field investigator is the entrance to a guard-cell totally obscured by tumble; and the ancillary features described form no logical association with the broch, so may be later.

Revised at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (N K B) 24 August 1981.

A grass-covered stoney mound 45 by 42m by 4m high, enclosed by a bank, 60m by 55m.

R J Mercer 1981.

ND 065 680 (centre) An archaeological desk-based study was undertaken in September 1994 as part of the environmental assessment for a planned windfarm development. The study was designed to identify and evaluate any archaeological monuments present, through the examination of documentary, cartographic and aerial photographic sources. The study area covered approximately 10.5 sq km. Previous systematic fieldwork covering the majority of the proposed development area was led by Mr R J Mercer between 1980-3. Sites located within the study area comprised: two brochs, seven longhouses, 12 lengths of wall, four enclosures, ten structures, a windmill, two cairns, a cist, a burnt mound, ten mounds, two field systems and two areas of rig-and-furrow. No new sites or monuments were located as part of the current study.

A detailed report is lodged with the NMRS.

Sponsor: EcoGen Limited.

R J Strachan 1995.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

ND06 11 THING'S VA ND/0808 6824 (visited 9/7/63)

This partly excavated probable broch is in Thurso parish, Caithness, and is typical of those on the Caithness plain, standing as it does on gently rolling terrain and on an artificial platform – a wide, flat mound surrounded by a ditch and with an outer rampart beyond it. In 1910 limited excavation had left exposed the entrance on the south-east and this is about 4.58m (15ft) long and 1.07m (3.5ft) wide at the exterior; there are door-checks, formed of slabs set at right angles into the walls, 1.17m (3ft 10in) in. Thereafter the passage is 1.30m (4ft 3in) wide. There are signs of the doorway to a guard cell on the right behind the checks, and of a second set of checks 2.44m (8ft) in from the first set. The inner wallface is visible in places, indicating an internal diameter of about 9.15m (30ft), and there are signs of a secondary wall built against it to the left of the entrance [2]. Traces of a guard cell on the left of the entrance passage have been seen [1].

A recent survey showed that most of the features described by the Commission are not now visible [3] but in 1963 there were still traces of part of the interior wallface with what may be a radial wall projecting from it. The name of the site derives from the Norse Thing-vollr – a local assembly or law court.

Sources: 1. NMRS site no. ND 06 NE 1: 2. RCAHMS 1911a, 119, no. 432: 3. Mercer 1981, 150, no. 461 and fig. 34.

E W MacKie 2007

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions