Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Altnabreac Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Altnabreac Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Altnabreac Halt

Canmore ID 7605

Site Number ND04NW 3

NGR ND 0037 4567

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/7605

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Halkirk
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND04NW 3 0037 4567

Altnabreac Station [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1991.

After Corrour (NN36NE 1), probably the most inaccessible station on the Scottish network, this intermediate station on the Inverness - Wick and Thurso ('Far North') line of the former Highland Rly was opened by the Sutherland and Caithness Rly on 28 July 1874. It remains in regular use by passenger traffic, as an unstaffed halt.

The plain but elegant station buildings originally cost #569 but were derelict by the early 1980's, when the adjacent hotel also closed. The ruined water tower still stands.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 14 June 2001.

B Williams 1988; R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions