Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 652537

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/652537

ND04NW 3 0037 4567

Altnabreac Station [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1991.

After Corrour (NN36NE 1), probably the most inaccessible station on the Scottish network, this intermediate station on the Inverness - Wick and Thurso ('Far North') line of the former Highland Rly was opened by the Sutherland and Caithness Rly on 28 July 1874. It remains in regular use by passenger traffic, as an unstaffed halt.

The plain but elegant station buildings originally cost #569 but were derelict by the early 1980's, when the adjacent hotel also closed. The ruined water tower still stands.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 14 June 2001.

B Williams 1988; R V J Butt 1995.

People and Organisations

References