Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Balloch, Balloch Road, Balloch Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Balloch, Balloch Road, Balloch Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) River Leven; Loch Lomond

Canmore ID 75491

Site Number NS38SE 22

NGR NS 39104 81947

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Dunbartonshire
  • Parish Bonhill (West Dunbartonshire)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Dumbarton
  • Former County Dunbartonshire

Archaeology Notes

NS38SE 22 39104 81947

Balloch Br [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1992.

Also see Architecture Catalogue.

Not to be confused with Lomond Bridge (NS 39146 81745), for which see NS 39146 81745.

For predecessor bridge (at same location), see NS38SE 89.

(Location cited as NS 391 819). Balloch, Road Bridge, late 19th century. A five-span bridge with three lattice-truss spans and a shorter plate-girder span on each side. The girders are supported on cylindrical masonry piers.

J R Hume 1976.

This bridge carries Balloch Road, Balloch over the River Leven, at the southern end of Loch Lomond.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 29 October 1997.

This site was visited and photographed by J R Hume, University of Strathclyde, 3 September 1975. See NMRS MS/749 [Dunbartonshire, Bonhill/ Balloch parish] for contact prints JR Hume H75/53/15-16.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Balloch Bridge, Balloch Road. Opened 1887; a replacement for the suspension bridge (NS38SE 89) of 1841. By engineers Hanna, Donald and Wilson of Paisley. Five-span steel girder crossing of the River Leven. Three central spans are lattice girders, the outer two plated girders; each rests on cylindrical sandstone piers which become octagonal above the carriagway level. Two remaining lamp standards.

J Gifford and F A Walker 2002.

The location assigned to this record defines the centre of the structure.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 28 December 2005.

Architecture Notes

NS38SE 22 39104 81947

Road bridge, Balloch.

Visited and photographed by J R Hume, University of Strathclyde, 3 September 1975.

Information from MS/749 (Dunbartonshire, Bonhill parish), photographic contact prints attached (Hume index) H75/15, 16 (negatives with reporter, J R Hume).


Construction (1887)

Replaces a Dredge bridge of 1841.

Project (2007)

This project was undertaken to input site information listed in 'Civil engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' by R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Publication Account (2007)

The modern bridge replaced a late-19th century five-span road bridge over the Leven comprising three lattice truss spans and a shorter plate-girder span on each side. This superstructure was supported on cylindrical masonry piers. The view shows work in progress on its recent recon- struction with the girders on one side still in position. The modern bridge utilises the original piers.

The late-19th century bridge replaced an innovative Dredge suspension bridge with a 200 ft main span and

side spans of 45 ft erected in 1841. The calculations for Dredge’s bridge have survived in Weale’s The Theory, Practice and Architecture of Bridges.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage : Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission of Thomas Telford Publishers.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions