Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fallsidehill Tile Works

Tile Works (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Fallsidehill Tile Works

Classification Tile Works (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 74694

Site Number NT64SE 17

NGR NT 684 422

NGR Description NT c. 684 422

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/74694

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Hume
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Very little remains of the tile works once situated about 1km north of Fallsidehill farmsteading. The site was in operation at the time the first edition of the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map was surveyed in 1862, but was disused by the time the second edition map was surveyed in 1897. Many of its buildings were already roofless by this time.

A survey carried out in 1978 highlighted the presence of a long earthwork, about 1m high. This had been a kiln, built from stone and lined with brick, which was clearly visible on the first edition map. Other features shown in 1862 included an area of clay mining and a short tramway with an engine house. In 1978 it was noted that pieces of drain tiles could be seen across the site.

Throughout the nineteenth century there was a great drive towards further improvement of the land and greater output from Scotland's farms. The production of tiles, especially drain tiles, were closely linked to this impetus for change as landowners sought to bring more marginal land into cultivation.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NT64SE 17 c. 684 422

The following features are depicted on the first edition of the OS map: 'Clay Pits', 'Tram Road', 'Engine Ho.' and 'Kiln'.

1st edition 6-inch OS map (Berwickshire) 1862, sheet xxvii.

Activities

Sbc Note (15 April 2016)

Visibility: Standing structure or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions