Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Boswells, Charlesfield, Incendiary Bomb Munitions Plant And Depot

Armament Depot (20th Century)

Site Name St Boswells, Charlesfield, Incendiary Bomb Munitions Plant And Depot

Classification Armament Depot (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Charlesfield Munitions Factory

Canmore ID 74226

Site Number NT52NE 23

NGR NT 5857 2959

NGR Description Centred NT 5857 2959

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/74226

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish St Boswells
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT52NE 23 centred 5857 2959

For associated railway halt (opened in 1942 for depot workers) see NT52NE 24.11

Incendiary bomb production plant built c.1942. Production of incendiary bombs ceased in 1945, thereafter part of the site was used by the Royal Navy to store small arms and small guns. Use by the RN ceased in the early 1960s and several of the buildings were then used by famers, notably West Cumberland Farmers for storage and animal husbandry along with some light industrial units. Much of the site has recently been cleared by the farmer.

Information from J Dent, The Borders Council Archaeologist to RCAHMS, August 1999

The World War Two incendiary bomb factory at Charlesfield is situated to the S of St Boswells. The site is now an industrial estate, some of the buildings have been cleared, but many still survive. The factory later became a Royal Navy Armament Depot.

J Guy 1999; NMRS MS 810/8, 25-6

Charlesfield bomb production plant is visible on RAF WW II oblique aerial photographs taken in 1943 and 1944 (No.1 CAM, 14265-14266 and 24599 and 24604, flown 23 June 1943 and 10 June 1944 respectively). The 1943 images show in detail the internal layout of the buildings and structures. In addition the rail connection to the Edinburgh-Hawick-Carlisle main railway is also prominent.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), March 2006.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: Upstanding structure, which may not be intact.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

Sbc Note

An incomplete Hunter Penrose camera, consisting of a substantial mahogany, brass and iron frame, cranked length adjustment, and bellows c.3 metres long. No lenses survive and the remains are built into the fabric of the building, in so far that an adjoining room is connected by a window through which the camera projected. The large size of this camera suggests that is was used for military intelligence purposes, possible the enlargement of aerial photographs, and that it required two rooms to accommodate it.

Information from Scottish Borders Council Historic Environment Record

(n.d.)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions