Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Morningside, 77 Falcon Avenue, St Peter's Roman Catholic Church And Presbytery House

Church (Period Unassigned), Presbytery (Post Medieval)

Site Name Edinburgh, Morningside, 77 Falcon Avenue, St Peter's Roman Catholic Church And Presbytery House

Classification Church (Period Unassigned), Presbytery (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) 77 Falcon Avenue, St Peter's Church (Rc), Church Offices And Presbytery With Boundary Wall, Gatepiers And Railings

Canmore ID 74085

Site Number NT27SW 191

NGR NT 24734 71481

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/74085

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27SW 191 24734 71481

St Peters RC Church [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, September 2009.

Architecture Notes

ARCHITECT: Sir Robert Lorimer 1905-06, completed Lorimer & Matthew 1927-29

NMRS PRINT ROOM:

Inglis Photograph Collection, Acc No 1994/90

Interior view towards the altar, between 1912 and c.1932. High alter painting unframed.

W Schomberg Scott Photograph Collection, Acc No 1997/39

Interior view towards the altar.

NMRS Special Collections

Lorimer Collection

Drawings held in Main Store with Lorimer drawings, filed under Edinburgh, St Peter's Church.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (22 November 1999)

An angel with raised and partially spread wings and head bowed to right shoulder is holding a model of the Presbytery, whilst kneeling on left leg on what appears to be a coiled serpent. A large flowering plant rises vertically on the angel's right from a two-handled vase. The work is housed in a stepped niche.

According to Malcolm Cant in his 'Villages of Edinburgh Vol II', the church was designed in 1905 by Sir Robert Lorimer and was opened on 25 April 1907.

The idea was conceived by Fr.John Gray (Curate at St. Patrick's Church, Edinburgh) together with Andre Raffalovitch.

Gray resigned as librarian to the Foreign Office in 1901 to join the priesthood (1).

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 1905-1907 (church)

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0081)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions