Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Caledonian Canal, Dochgarroch Lock

Lock (Post Medieval)

Site Name Caledonian Canal, Dochgarroch Lock

Classification Lock (Post Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Dochgarroch Regulating Lock

Canmore ID 72853

Site Number NH64SW 16.01

NGR NH 6187 4041

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/72853

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Inverness And Bona
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH64SW 16.01 6187 4041

It was hoped that the regulating lock close to the E end of Loch Dochfour would be completed by 1814 and in fact this was acieved. Between 1890 and 1906 the lock-gates were replaced by new ones constructed from oak and steel, and by the mid-twentieth century the lock was mechanised.

J Lindsay 1968.

'A standard masonry-walled Caledonian Canal lock.'

Information from Historic Scotland, November 1992.

At this regulating lock it has been noted that there may be a minimal change of water level at times between the canal and the loch. Originally the lock gates were worked by capstans, but they now utilise a hydraulic mechanism. formerly the gates necessitated seven revolutions both for opening and also for closing them, so fifty six revolutions would have been required in order to undertake a complete locking operation with all four gates.

G Hutton 1992.

This lock is clearly marked on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1876, sheet xi), on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire 1906, sheet xi), on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973) and on the OS Basic Scale raster map (ND).

Information from RCAHMS (MD), 27 September 2001.

Standing building recording NH 6187 4041 Repairs to Dochgarroch Lock (Caledonian Canal) were observed and photographed in the spring of 2005 as a requirement of Scheduled Monument Consent. The lock was drained and the opportunity taken to examine the entire fabric. The works revealed the quality of the 19th-century engineering, although now in poor condition.

Archive deposited in Highland SMR and NMRS.

Sponsors: British Waterways Board, R J McLeod.

J Wood 2005.

Architecture Notes

See also NH64SW 16.00.

Activities

Field Visit (30 October 2013 - 30 October 2013)

Dochgarroch Lock

This is a single lock with the usual lock furniture; bollards, hooks and 8 capstan bases. At both ends, outside the gates, there are slots for coffer dams and at the north end there are bollards on each side of the canal at a lower level which probably held a chain for protecting the gate. South of the south gate on the north bank there is a crab winch.

Visited by Scottish Canals Trust (MM)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions