Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Essential maintenance

HES is currently undertaking essential maintenance on our web services. This will limit access to services in the following ways:

- Subscription access for HES online services will be unavailable (Scran, NCAP)

 - Image purchasing options will be limited (Canmore, Britain from Above, Scran, NCAP)

 - Any enhanced services which require a log in will be unavailable (My Canmore, Britain from Above contributions, Scran contribute)

 General access to these services will all continue. Enquiries will still be able to be submitted.

 We anticipate services to be restored from Monday 1st February 2021.

 

Glencoe, Massacre Of Glencoe Memorial

Commemorative Monument (19th Century) (1883)

Site Name Glencoe, Massacre Of Glencoe Memorial

Classification Commemorative Monument (19th Century) (1883)

Alternative Name(s) Macdonald's Monument; Glencoe Massacre

Canmore ID 71831

Site Number NN15NW 4

NGR NN 10509 58793

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/71831

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Lismore And Appin (Lochaber)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Lochaber
  • Former County Argyll

Recording Your Heritage Online

Upper Carnoch Memorial to the Massacre of Glencoe, sculpted by Macdonald of Aberdeen, 1883, a tapering Celtic cross soaring up from a rugged cairn near the scattering of older cottages above the river.

[Just a little beyond the Clachaig Inn, a track leads over the Moor to the site of MacIain's summer residence at a former settlement in Gleann Leac na Muidhe. It was here and in the vicinity that, on 13 February 1692, he and 37 of his clansmen were murdered by a militia of the Earl of Argyll's regiment in the infamous Massacre of Glencoe. Why was MacIain in his summer residence in winter? No longer visible today, the ruins were still evident earlier this century.]

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2007. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions