Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Crail, Cunningham's Castle

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Crail, Cunningham's Castle

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 70945

Site Number NO60NW 369

NGR NO 6106 0697

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Crail
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

(NO 6106 0697) Cunningham's Castle (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1912-38)

Upon the point of land a little to the SW of Crail harbour there are some traces of a building which has given the name of Castle Hyne to a small creek or inlet among the rocks.

OSA 1793

A small summer house projecting into the sea at Castlehaven (Crail) points to the spot where Sir Neil Cunningham, an elder of the house of Barns, entertained his followers. The ruins of the castle were pulled down in 1839.

NSA 1845.

In 1376, the lands of West Barns passed to Neil Cunningham. Writing of the years about 1618, Wood states "the residence of Cunningham at that time was at Castle Haven, a house built on the promontory immediately W of Crail".

W Wood 1887

No trace and no further information.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 27 August 1968


Field Visit (27 September 2015)

Roughly squared stone block with incised (rune-like) criss cross decoration on one side. The stone measures approx. 1m x 0.7m x 0.7m. It is located amongst boulders on the east side of the site of Cunningham's Castle. The regularity and straightness of the incisions, and the location in close proimity to an historic site give some credence to this being a legitimate carved stone. However, it is possible these are natural striations.

Visited by Scotland's Coastal Heritage at Risk (SCHARP)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions