Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Seacliff House

Country House (19th Century)

Site Name Seacliff House

Classification Country House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Seacliffe

Canmore ID 70268

Site Number NT68SW 28

NGR NT 60806 84315

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/70268

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Whitekirk And Tyninghame
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT68SW 28 60806 84315

See also:

NT68SW 5 6130 8418 Seacliff Tower

NT68SW 6 6118 8409 Dovecot

NT68SW 29 6060 8413 Estate Buildings (Stables and Steading)

NT68SW 52 6099 8421 Cottage

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

ARCHITECT: David Bryce, additions 1841.

Site Management (8 June 1990)

3-storey and attic Scottish Baronial mansion. Squared and stugged stone and ashlar dressings. Curtain wall remains on asymmetrical plan, of asymmetrical design, including stock Bryce Baronial motifs; squared corbelled bartizans, crowstepped gables and balustraded balconies.

Bryce was commissioned in 1841 to design the mansion around a long, low, narrow earlier house, by George Sligo, a relation of Bryce's later client at Inzievar House, Dunfermline. John Watson Laidlay commissioned the enlargement in 1850. The Baronial style was polularised by Burn and Bryce, and Seacliffe demonstrated the specifically Brycian variant of the style. The house was seriously damaged by fire in the 20th century, but the stables and service cottage remain. (Historic Scotland)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions