Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Greenock, East Hamilton Street, James Watt Dock, Sugar Warehouse

Sugar Warehouse (19th Century)

Site Name Greenock, East Hamilton Street, James Watt Dock, Sugar Warehouse

Classification Sugar Warehouse (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Cartsdyke, Clyde Port Authority Warehouse; Greenock Harbour

Canmore ID 68370

Site Number NS27NE 15

NGR NS 29828 75528

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/68370

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Inverclyde
  • Parish Greenock
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Inverclyde
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS27NE 15 29828 75528

Location formerly entered as NS 2982 7552.

For James Watt Dock (NS 29677 75697), see NS27NE 17.00.

(Location cited as NS 297 757). James Watt Dock [NS27NE 17.00], 1879-86, engineer W R Kinipple. A roughly rectangular gated basin, with a short pier at the E end giving additional berthage.

Along the S quay is a fine range of red- and white-brick warehouses [NS27NE 15], with two 5-storey and attic, 7-bay blocks, with central hoists, and two 3-storey and attic, one 9-bay, the other 11. The lower buildings have ridged roofs, with circular windows in the attics.

Immediately adjacent to the N are the Great Harbour (NS37NW 18.00), 1880 on, and the Garvel Graving Dock (1871), engineer W R Kinipple.

J R Hume 1976.

This raw sugar warehouse (c. 1885) is now disused.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO) 14 August 1995

Site Management (3 November 1997)

Long warehouse, with high first storey, built of red brick with arches, pilaster-strips and window-margins in yellow brick. At west end is a 4-storey and loft block 7 bays wide, the bays being separated by pilaster-strips; Central bay has door at 2nd, 3rd, 4th, with hoist over. To East of this block is a 2-storey, 18-bay range; windows are grouped in recessed arches in 9 pairs each with gable over (containing circular window). To East of this range is another 4-storey, 7-bay block followed by another 2-storey range, 22 bays wide, windows grouped in 11 pairs, the E. end having 6 recessed arches. The gable-ends of the 4-storey blocks have 8 stepped recessed arches.

Built beside the contemporary James Watt Dock which was built by John Waddell Edinburgh to the design of W R Kinniple. Upgraded to Cat A, 20/3/87.(Historic Scotland)

Activities

Project (2008)

An impact assessment was undertaken by Headland Archaeology in 2008.

Headland Archaeology 2008

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions