Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Coupar Angus Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Coupar Angus Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 68070

Site Number NO24SW 40

NGR NO 2249 4014

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/68070

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Coupar Angus
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO24SW 40 2249 4014

(Location cited as NO 225 401). Station, opened 1848 by the Scottish Midland Junction. Mainly demolished, but the single-storey wooden booking office survives, as does a particularly fine masonry goods shed.

J R Hume 1977.

This intermediate station on the Perth - Kinnaber Junction portion of the Glasgow - Kinnaber Junction 'Strathmore line' of the former Caledonian Railway was also (until 10 January 1955) the junction station for that company's line to Blairgowrie. It was first opened by the Newtyle and Coupar Angusl Rly in February 1837 but was closed (by the Dundee and Perth Rly) in November 1847. It was reopened by the latter company on 2 August 1848, grouped into the London, Midland and Scottish Railway, and closed to regular passenger traffic (with the Stanley Junction - Kinnaber Junction portion of the line) on 4 September 1967.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 30 August 2000.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980; R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions