Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Dunrobin Castle, Railway Station

Railway Station (19th Century)

Site Name Dunrobin Castle, Railway Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Dunrobin Castle Station; Dunrobin (Private) Station; Duke Of Sutherland's Waiting Room

Canmore ID 6579

Site Number NC80SW 27

NGR NC 84966 01273

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/6579

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Golspie
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC80SW 27 84966 01273

Dunrobin Station

(Private) [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, March 2010.

For Dunrobin Castle (NC 8505 0082), see NC80SE 1.00.

Duke of Sutherland's Railway Station waiting room listed.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NC 850 013). Dunrobin Station, built 1902 for the Duke of Sutherland, architect L Bisset. A neat mock-timber-framed building with a three-gabled awning.

J R Hume 1977.

Dunrobin Castle Railway Station, designed by L Bisset in 1902 as the Duke of Sutherland's private halt.

J Gifford 1992.

This intermediate station on the Inverness-Wick and Thurso ('Far North') line of the (former) Highland Rly. was opened in 1870 as the private station of the Duke of Sutherland and closed as such in 1871. It closed to regular passenger traffic on 29 January 1965, reopening during 1985.

R V J Butt 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions