Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Hills Tower

House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Hills Tower

Classification House (Period Unassigned), Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Hills Tower, Gatehouse And Courtyard Walls; Hillis Tower; Hills Castle

Canmore ID 65751

Site Number NX97SW 5

NGR NX 91224 72666

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65751

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Lochrutton
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX97SW 5 91224 72666.

(NX 9120 7266) Hills Tower (NR)

OS 6" map (1946)

Hills Tower, built between 1528 and 1566, measures 23'7" by 29'9" and has been restored. A wing, dated 1721, is attached to its E side. In the W side of the courtyard is a gatehouse probably dating from the first half of the 16th century.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1889; RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911

Hills Tower is as described and illustrated except that the steading, attached to the W side in the illustration has been removed. The wing on the E side is in use as a dwelling but the tower itself is unoccupied. The whole structure is in a good state of repair.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 3 July 1964

In carrying out restoration work plans of both the Tower (c. 1530) and the House (1721) have been prepared. Copies of these plans are with the NMRS. Three masons' marks have been recorded on the dressed freestone of the Tower. Both garderobes and their individual chutes have been uncovered. Finds recovered from the grounds include clay-pipe bowls and stems from the mid 17th - late 19th centuries; three fragments of late medieval pottery (15th - 16th centuries); several fragments of flint apparently used for the production of gun-flints; one small whetstone; and a small deep cobalt blue glass bead, possibly of early medieval date.

J Williams 1971

Architecture Notes

NX97SW 5 91224 72666

NX97SW 54 91122 72698 Mains of Hill Farm

NMRS REFERENCE:

Architect: John Selchrig (Selkirk?) 1721 - addition of house to tower.

Photocopy of contract to build the House 1721, between Ed. Maxwell and John Selchrig - typescript

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions