Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Terregles Church

Chapel (16th Century), Church (18th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Terregles Church

Classification Chapel (16th Century), Church (18th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Terregles Queir; War Memorial Window

Canmore ID 65676

Site Number NX97NW 9

NGR NX 93048 77020

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65676

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Terregles (Kirkcudbrightshire)
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX97NW 9 9305 7703.

(NX 9305 7703) Aisle of Old Church (NR) Graveyard (1568)

OS 6" map (1854)

The 'queir' (quire) of Terregles was built as a family mortuary chapel by the fourth Lord Herries in 1585, the date over the S doorway. It was renovated in 1875, its window mullions and roof being renewed, and buttresses added. Its W end is attached to the present Terregles parish church, built in 1799 possibly on the foundations of an older building. G Hay 1957; RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911

The stone forming the step at the door of the 'Queir' is a fragment of a grave-slab, bearing an incised cross-shaft on a stepped base.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1897

As described above. Nothing was seen to suggest the date 1568 (and no information was obtained from the relevant ONB). The church is still

in use.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 1 July 1964

Activities

Publication Account (1986)

At the eastern end of this small parish church is the 'queir' (choir), built as a mortuary chapel by the 4th Lord Herries in 1583. Its special significance lies in the fact that it was erected in the..immediate post-Refonnation era by a Roman Catholic family, and that, with its mixture of pointed and round-headed openings and three-sided apse, it perpetuates some of the traditional Gothic fonns of the later Middle Ages. The existing church was built in 1799 on the site of an earlier nave. The buttresses, window tracery and much of the interior of the choir date from a restoration carried out by Captain Maxwell ofTerregles in 1875. Inside, at the foot of the staircase leading to the burialvault, there is a large slab monument of 1568 bearing a male effigy in contemporary costume.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: Dumfries and Galloway’, (1986).

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions