Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

We have updated our mapping software and are trying out some new background mapping layers. Please let us know what you think by clicking here.

Dumfries, Church Street, Burgh Museum And Observatory

Museum (19-20th Century), Observatory (19-20th Century), War Memorial(S) (Period Unassigned), Windmill (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Dumfries, Church Street, Burgh Museum And Observatory

Classification Museum (19-20th Century), Observatory (19-20th Century), War Memorial(S) (Period Unassigned), Windmill (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Dumfries Burgh Museum; Dumfries, Maxwelltown, Church Street Museum And Camera Obscura

Canmore ID 65636

Site Number NX97NE 99

NGR NX 96987 75713

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/65636

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Troqueer (Dumfries-shire)
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Nithsdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NX97NE 99 96987 75713.

For celtic stone heads built into a garden wall at the museum, see NX97NE 136 and NY07NE 2.

(Location cited as NX 968 758). Windmill, built 1798. A four-storey tapered rubble tower, with pedimented doors and windows, and a circular corbelled cap. Part of Dumfries Burgh Museum since 1834.

J R Hume 1976.

A much-altered tower mill, built in 1798; converted to form an observatory in 1834 and later became a museum. Comparable with Carluke High Mill (NS85SW 15 ).

I L Donnachie and N K Stewart 1967; G Douglas, M Oglethorpe and J R Hume 1984.

Dumfries Museum and Camera Obscura, Church Street. The dominant feature is the strongly battered tower of white-washed ashlar, built as a windmill in 1798.

J Gifford 1996.

Activities

Photographic Survey (October 1964)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Work in October 1964

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

Note (25 June 2014)

First World War Maxwell and Son Publishing Roll of Honour was removed to Dimfries Museum.

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 25 June 2014

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions