Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cnoc Dail A' Bhathaidh

Cairnfield (Period Unassigned), Hut Circle (Prehistoric)

Site Name Cnoc Dail A' Bhathaidh

Classification Cairnfield (Period Unassigned), Hut Circle (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 6508

Site Number NC80NW 6

NGR NC 8130 0986

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Clyne
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC80NW 6 8130 0986.

(NC 8130 0986) Hut circle (NR)

OS 6"map, (1969)

Some 170 yards up the Scottarie Burn Glen from the enclosure (NC80NW 8) is a group of a score or so mounds, well-defined, measuring from 10ft to 26ft in diameter.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.

A hut circle 8.8m in diameter between wall centres with the entrance in the SE. The northern half of the circle is almost obliterated. Surrounding the hut is a small concentration of contemporary field clearance heaps.

Visited by OS (W D J) 25 April 1964 and (J B) 27 October 1975.


Field Visit (19 August 1909)

37. Scottarie Burn. [NC80NW 5] About 100 yards SW. of the site of the broch at Kilbrare, on the Scottarie Burn, is a small circular enclosure of about 17' interior diameter. The entrance is from the SE. and is about 2' wide. The bank or wall, which is about 5' thick, is on its inner face lined with large contiguous boulders from 1' to 1½' high and 1½' to 2' across. One or two small mounds lie near.

On the hillside, to the SW. of the shepherd's house at Kilbrare, is a group of small mounds, some of which have been opened.

Below the upper end of the group is a hut circle of simple oval form, the outline of which, however, is rather indefinite.

About ½ m. up the glen of the Scottarie Burn, on its W. side, is a stone-built hut circle of 34' interior diameter [NC80NW 7]. The entrance is from the E. through a passage 9' long and 3' wide. The wall, now

broken down, is about 5' 6" in thickness, widening towards the


Some 150 yards higher up the glen are the ruins of an oblong

structure [NC80NW 8], with walls entirely of stone, in the construction of which very large boulders have been used. The entrance is from the SE.

The total length of the interior is 46', and the greatest width 18'.

The wall is 7' thick, expanding to 10' on either side of the entrance, which is 4' wide. At the back of the interior are the ruins of a circular building measuring 15' x 14' over all, but as the space occupied by it is entirely covered by the ruins, the thickness of its wall and position and details of the entrance are not ascertainable (fig. 6).

About 170 yards up the glen is a group of a score or so of mounds [NC80NW 6], well defined, measuring from 10' to 26' in diameter.

OS 6-inch map: Sutherland Sheet xcvii. (unnoted).

RCAHMS 1911, visited (AOC) 19th August 1909.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions