Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Field Visit

Date 19 August 1909

Event ID 1095792

Category Recording

Type Field Visit


37. Scottarie Burn. [NC80NW 5] About 100 yards SW. of the site of the broch at Kilbrare, on the Scottarie Burn, is a small circular enclosure of about 17' interior diameter. The entrance is from the SE. and is about 2' wide. The bank or wall, which is about 5' thick, is on its inner face lined with large contiguous boulders from 1' to 1½' high and 1½' to 2' across. One or two small mounds lie near.

On the hillside, to the SW. of the shepherd's house at Kilbrare, is a group of small mounds, some of which have been opened.

Below the upper end of the group is a hut circle of simple oval form, the outline of which, however, is rather indefinite.

About ½ m. up the glen of the Scottarie Burn, on its W. side, is a stone-built hut circle of 34' interior diameter [NC80NW 7]. The entrance is from the E. through a passage 9' long and 3' wide. The wall, now

broken down, is about 5' 6" in thickness, widening towards the


Some 150 yards higher up the glen are the ruins of an oblong

structure [NC80NW 8], with walls entirely of stone, in the construction of which very large boulders have been used. The entrance is from the SE.

The total length of the interior is 46', and the greatest width 18'.

The wall is 7' thick, expanding to 10' on either side of the entrance, which is 4' wide. At the back of the interior are the ruins of a circular building measuring 15' x 14' over all, but as the space occupied by it is entirely covered by the ruins, the thickness of its wall and position and details of the entrance are not ascertainable (fig. 6).

About 170 yards up the glen is a group of a score or so of mounds [NC80NW 6], well defined, measuring from 10' to 26' in diameter.

OS 6-inch map: Sutherland Sheet xcvii. (unnoted).

RCAHMS 1911, visited (AOC) 19th August 1909.

People and Organisations