Roman Fort (Roman)
- Council Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish Crossmichael
- Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
- Former District Stewartry
- Former County Kirkcudbrightshire
NX76SW 2 73500 64528
(NX 7351 6452) Roman Fort (R)
OS 6" map (1957)
Supposed site of Abbey (NR)
OS 6" map (1909)
The site of a Roman Fort. The idea of an Abbey started with the OSA and is based on a mis-interpretation of the Roman remains.
Information from A Graham, RCAHMS, 28 December 1950.
The fort accompanied by a series of temporary camps was identified by Dr St Joseph in 1949 (information from J K St Joseph letter 1949).
A trial section dug in 1952 revealed that there had been three superimposed forts, which coincided over the greater part if not the whole of the circuit. The first had been Flavian and had been destroyed by fire; the second was Antonine and the third was a later Antonine modification of the second.
There was an annexe on the north side. Beneath the Flavian fort were the rubbish pits and shacks which were shown at Newstead to exist outside a garrisoned fort. This suggests that there was an earlier Flavian fort at Glenlochar on a different site. The large ditch, which shows on APs at the northern end of the plateau, west of Glenlochar House and well beyond the limits of the Antonine annexe; and the fact that the main Roman road from the east makes for this area and not the later fort, suggest that the earliest site may prove to be north of the modern road on the highest and driest land. To judge by the extents of the pits this fort would undoubtedly be Agricolan. Six or seven camps associated with the forts have been identified (J K St Joseph 1958) (see NX76NW 3 and NX76SW 4, NX76SW 5, NX76SW 6 possibly 1).
The ditches of the north side of the annexe continue west as far as the bank of the Dee. A broad ditch; interupted by a gap for an entrance occurs 200' further north, and perhaps delimits an annexe to one of the Flavian forts.
I A Richmond and J K St Joseph 1953; J K St Joseph 1965.
The inner rampart of the fort can still be traced as a low spread unsurveyable mound. Slight traces of the large ditch to the north can still be seen on the ground but there is insufficient evidence to warrant survey of this or the other slight cropmark which suggest the site of an earlier Flavian fort.
There is no trace on the ground of the annexe or the temporary camps. Sites surveyed from St Joseph A Ps and ground observations.
Visited by OS (RD), 30 July 1968.
(site of) [NAT]
OS (GIS) MasterMap, March 2011.
Scheduled (with NX76SW 2-6, 23, 24 and 29) as 'Glenlochar, Roman fort, annexe, road, camps and barrows 50m E of Montford....'.
Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 1 March 2011.