Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Old Bridge Of Urr

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Old Bridge Of Urr

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) River Urr; Urr Water

Canmore ID 64567

Site Number NX76NE 16

NGR NX 77593 67714

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Crossmichael
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX76NE 16 77593 67714

Old Bridge of Urr [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1978.

For adjacent Dubbisdale Mill, see NX76NE 26.

(NX 7760 6771). 'The Old Bridge of Urr' traditionally bore the date '1580' on one of the two heraldic panels on the south side. Originally about 9ft 8ins [2.95m] wide, the bridge was widened on the north side, probably in 1843 when the parapets were built.

RCAHMS 1914.

This bridge is generally as described by the RCAHMS. The two heraldic panels are still visible though no date can now be deciphered. The name is still known and used locally.

Visited by OS (RD) 29 July 1968.

(Location cited as NX 775 677). Old Bridge of Urr: an interesting two-arched bridge with centre buttress over the River Urr near the old meal mill (NX76NE 25). Dates from the late 18th century.

I Donnachie 1971.

(Location cited as NX 776 677). Old Bridge of Urr, late 18th century. Two-span rubble bridge with semicircular arches and triangular cutwaters.

J R Hume 1976.

This bridge carries an unclassified public road across the Urr Water or River Urr, which here forms the boundary between the parishes of Crossmichael (to the SW) and Kirkpatrick-Durham (to the NE).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 28 October 2005.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions