Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Holm Of Daltallochan

Cross Slab (Early Medieval)

Site Name Holm Of Daltallochan

Classification Cross Slab (Early Medieval)

Canmore ID 63883

Site Number NX59SE 9

NGR NX 55521 94162

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/63883

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Carsphairn
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Activities

Field Visit (31 July 1911)

99. Cross-slab, Daltallachan.—Standing on the east side of the approach to the farm-house of Holm of Daltallochan is a slab (fig. 59) incised with a cross, having a circular boss 2 inches wide in the centre, and arms expanding from 3 inches at the point of intersection to 5 inches at the edge of the stone. The shaft also broadens to the foot, which is rounded. The extreme length of the cross is 2 feet 5 inches, and its breadth across the arms 1 foot 2 inches. This cross was brought to its present position from the neighbouring farm of Garryhorn, whence it is said to have come from the cairn of Daltallochan (No. 106).

Visited by RCAHMS 31st July 1911.

Desk Based Assessment (1 May 1974)

NX59SE 9 55521 94162.

In the garden at the side of the farmhouse of Holm of Daltallachan, (NX 554 941) is an irregular sandstone slab, 2ft 9ins high by 1ft 3ins wide, on which is incised a Latin cross with slightly expanded arms; the bottom of the shaft is joined by a curved line, and there is a circle at the centre between the arms.

It was brought to its present position from Garryhorn farm, and M'Diarmid states that it originally was found about 1850, at the bottom of the Cairn of Daltallachan (NX59SE 1).

Information from OS (IF) 1 May 1974

C L Curle 1964; W R M'Diarmid 1880; RCAHMS 1914, visited 1911

Field Visit (27 February 1978)

NX 5551 9415 The cross incised slab is set on end in a shrubbery of the farm garden. The tradition of it originally being found at the Cairn of Daltallachan is still current, but local information confirms that within living memory it has always stood at its present site.

The Latin cross is very similar to those at Braidenoch Hill (see NX59SE 3) which Truckell dates as 10th-11th Century.

Visited by OS (JRL) 27 February 1978

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions