Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Moure Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Moure Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Dowies; 'principal Mansion Of Mowr'

Canmore ID 62760

Site Number NX34SE 18

NGR NX 3816 4333

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Glasserton
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX34SE 18 3816 4333.

(NX 3816 4333) Supposed Site of (NAT)

Moure Castle (NR)

OS 25" map (1906)

The site of Moure Castle, which Reid suggests was not a stone-built tower, but a stockaded manor-house, is now a mound with a jumble of stones overgrown with weeds. It was in possession of Edward Maxwell c.1450; he came into the property through marriage to one of the de Mundeville family. The "manor of Mowir" is mentioned in 1564, and the "principal mansion of Mowr" in 1573. c.1600, this building was superseded by Dowies (see NX34SE 19), though its name also transferred to the other building.

An earlier name for the residence, in 1482, when in possession of the de Mundevilles, was Ballingrene, or in 1483, Ballingray.

R C Reid 1948

Dowies (NX34SE 19) stands on the edge of a boggy meadow, which appears to have once been a loch. On the other side, on a knoll still called Castlehill, the foundations of a considerable building are plainly to be traced, but there is no tradition as to when, or by whom, it was inhabited.

In a wood about 1/4 mile off are the foundations of another building.

P H M'Kerlie 1870

Moure Castle is now a shell, and comprises a rubble wall 1.6m wide and up to 1m high with a gap on either side of the SW corner. The interior contains turf-covered foundations of 3 buildings the main one of which measures 14m x 5.5m. There are no foundations evident in either Court Hill Plantation or the now felled High Drumfad Wood.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (IA) 31 January 1973 .

Architecture Notes

See also: NX34SE 19 Old Place of Monreith


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions