Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Achinlochy

Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Achinlochy

Classification Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 6239

Site Number NC75NW 36

NGR NC 716 585

NGR Description Centred on NC 716 585

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/6239

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Farr
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC75NW 36 Centred on 716 585

(NC 716 585) Achinlochy. The remains of a depopulated settlement, which since it was under sheep by 1873, is presumably one of those abandoned during the clearance of Strathnaver between 1814 and 1819.

Name Book 1873; J Prebble 1963.

Achinlochy (name verified) a deserted township comprising at least eleven domestic structures with associated enclosures. The western side of the township is being destroyed by the enlarging of a quarry. Run-rig plough lines can be seen on the river terrace to the north west and north east of the township.

Visited by OS (J B) 21 July 1977.

A township, comprising seven unroofed buildings and two enclosures, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet xviii). The township is shown as ten unroofed buildings and three enclosures on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1964).

Information from RCAHMS (FO) 17 August 1995.

The township has been fenced in and a plaque with a small description and site plan has been erected by Bettyhill Museum. In addition to the OS description there are two corn-drying kilns.

Information from A K Kilpatrick to RCAHMS, 29 May 1997, visited 26 May 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions