Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Rimsdale

Classification Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 6205

Site Number NC74SW 5

NGR NC 740 403

NGR Description Centred NC 740 403

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kildonan
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC74SW 5 centred 740 403.

(NC 740 403) Rimsdale. The remains of a depopulated settlement, cleared in 1814, accompanied by a large area of arable. The present roofed building was not in existence in 1873 at which time only a shepherd's house at NC 7392 4005 was occupied. The associated arable land stretched for about 1800m along both banks of the Rimsdale Burn.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

OS 6" map, Sutherland, 1st ed. (1873); Name Book 1873; A MacKenzie 1946.

The remains of this abandoned township exist with ruinous field walls and about a dozen footings of enclosures and buildings; run-rig cultivation is evident. A later shepherd's house occupies the southern extent. On the east bank of the Burn are scatters of shieling-type bothies (see also NC74SW 8)

Visited by OS (J M) 18 May 1977.

A township, comprising one roofed building, four unroofed buildings, an enclosed field, three enclosures and a head-dyke is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (utherland 1878, sheet xlv). One roofed buildings, eleven unroofed buildings, three unroofed structures, four enclosures and the head-dyke are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1988).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 9 October 1995.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions