Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Mid Gleniron

Cairn (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Mid Gleniron

Classification Cairn (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 61564

Site Number NX16SE 10

NGR NX 1876 6092

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/61564

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish New Luce
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX16SE 10 1876 6092.

NX 187 609. A circular cairn, some 22' in mean diameter and 2' 9" high, lies some 45' SSW of the facade of Mid Gleniron II cairn (NX16SE 27).

It was excavated by Corcoran in 1963-6. Though it had been disturbed in recent times, he showed that it was built of boulders, with a small closed "chamber", probably built of orthostats and drystone walling, set at its centre. This measured approximately 4' square internally, and though its construction was unlike that of a cist, there was no evidence that access had been possible through the body of the cairn. The only finds of prehistoric date were a round-nosed flint scraper which lay above the paving in the S part of the chamber; and a few fragments of featureless pottery from the body of the cairn. Though these do not allow the construction of the cairn to be dated, it is suggested that it may have been contemporary with the neighbouring chambered cairns (NX16SE 14 and NX16SE 27).

J X W P Corcoran 1969

NX 1876 6092. This cairn, measuring 8.0m E-W by 12.0m and some 0.7m high, is now partly grass-covered.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (RD) 12 March 1968

Finds deposited in Dumfries Museum.

Dumfries Museum 1971

This cairn, which measured 6.7m in diameter, has been reduced to an amorphous mound. The SE side slab of the central cist is still visible.

Visited by RCAHMS (SH) June 1987

Activities

Excavation (1963 - 1966)

It was excavated by Corcoran in 1963-6. Though it had been disturbed in recent times, he showed that it was built of boulders, with a small closed "chamber", probably built of orthostats and drystone walling, set at its centre. This measured approximately 4' square internally, and though its construction was unlike that of a cist, there was no evidence that access had been possible through the body of the cairn. The only finds of prehistoric date were a round-nosed flint scraper which lay above the paving in the S part of the chamber; and a few fragments of featureless pottery from the body of the cairn. Though these do not allow the construction of the cairn to be dated, it is suggested that it may have been contemporary with the neighbouring chambered cairns (NX16SE 14 and NX16SE 27).

J X W P Corcoran 1969

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions