Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Wester Badanloch

Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Kiln (Period Unassigned), Rig And Furrow (Medieval) - (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Wester Badanloch

Classification Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Kiln (Period Unassigned), Rig And Furrow (Medieval) - (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 6136

Site Number NC73SE 14

NGR NC 786 344

NGR Description centred on NC 786 344

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/6136

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Kildonan
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC73SE 14 786 344.

(NC 786 344) Wester Badanloch (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1963)

Wester Badanloch, a deserted township, cleared in 1819 (Prebble 1963) comprising approximately twenty building foundations, varying in size from 4.0m by 2.0m to 38.0m by 5.0m. The remains of kilns occur at NC 7859 3439 and NC 7860 3439, and there are extensive areas of run-rig.

W Roy 1747-55; J Prebble 1963; Visited by OS (E G C) 21 May 1961.

Wester Badanloch is as described above.

Visited by OS (J M) 17 February 1977.

A township comprising twelve unroofed buildings, most of which are long buildings, two small enclosures, a field and some field walls is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1878, sheet lvi). Seventeen unroofed buildings, seven enclosures and some field walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10,000 map (1992).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 10 October 1995

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions