Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.


Broch (Iron Age)(Possible), Quern, Unidentified Pottery, Weight

Site Name Teroy

Classification Broch (Iron Age)(Possible), Quern, Unidentified Pottery, Weight

Alternative Name(s) Craigcaffie

Canmore ID 60815

Site Number NX06SE 7

NGR NX 09923 64108

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Inch
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Wigtown
  • Former County Wigtownshire

Archaeology Notes

NX06SE 7 09923 64108.

(NX 0992 6410) Teroy Fort (NR)

OS 6" map (1909)

This broch, known as Teroy Fort, stands on a rocky prominence about 120 feet long by 70 feet broad protected on the ENE end by a trench some 26 ft broad from crest to crest, 9 - 10 feet across the bottom: 10 feet deep from the top of the scarp and 3-4 feet below the counterscarp. The broch has been excavated and reduced almost to the foundations but had walls about 12ft 8ins in thickness with the interior court of 29ft diameter. The entrance was in the ENE, or higher end of the hillock, 16 feet back from the top of the scarp of the ditch, with the guard chamber on the west of the entrance. The greatest height of wall visible was 2ft 4ins but more than one third of the periphery wall has been entirely removed.

Finds: two small pieces dark red pottery; lump of iron 1lb 12oz in weight; upper stone of a rotary quern, a disc of coarse pottery perforated in in centre; small particles of burnt bone; part of a cockle shell; a small ox bone and particles of iron in extreme corrosion. RCAHMS 1912

This structure may be a dun or galleried dun rather than a broch.

R W Feachem 1956

'Teroy' Fort is generally as described by RCAHMS. The slopes of the knoll on which it is situated are artificially scarped and on the north side a terrace 2.0 to 3.0m wide runs parallel with the base of these slopes. The structure itself is broch-like but if it is a broch there is little or no evidence of the outer limit or external face of its wall. The odd stone protrudes through the turf about 4.0 to 4.5m. distant from the internal wall face as though forming a concentric circle, but this is conjectural.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (EGC) 5 March 1963

Teroy - Almost certainly a Broch.

R W Feachem 1963

Excavation report by Curle.

A O Curle 1912

The remains of this broch stand within an outwork on the summit of a knoll overlooking Craigcaffie Glen from the S. The broch has been severely robbed and the wall has been reduced to a mound of rubble no more than 0.6m high; the inner fall, however, is visible around the E half of the interior and two outer facing stones survive on the SSW, when the wall is 4m in thickness. The interior is 9m in diameter and there is a mural chamber on the NE. Excavations carried out in 1911 suggested that the chamber opened off the N side of the main entrance passage, but only the coursed masonry on the S side of the passage can now be seen running back into the body of the wall. The sides of the chamber comprise a basal course of orthostats carried upwards by three courses of laid stones to a maximum height of 0.6m, and there is an unusual recess formed of orthostats at its N end.

The outwork that encircles the ban of the knoll is best preserved on the NE where it comprises a ditch 5m broad and 0.5m deep with an external bank 4m thick and 0.6m high; elsewhere it has been reduced to little more than a terrace but the sides of the knoll have also been modified to create a steep scarp about 3.2m in height. Access to the summit was probably from the SW where there is a gap in the outwork.

RCAHMS 1987, visited (SH) 6 June 1986.


Field Visit (10 July 1953)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey (1950-1962), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, are available to view online - see the searchable PDF in 'Digital Items'. These vary from short notes, to lengthy and full descriptions. Contemporary plane-table surveys and inked drawings, where available, can be viewed online in most cases - see 'Digital Images'. The original typecripts, notebooks and drawings can also be viewed in the RCAHMS search room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 19 July 2013.

Publication Account (2007)

NX06 1 TEROY (‘Craigcaffie’)

NX/0992 6410

This probable broch in Inch stands on a rocky prominence about 36.6m (120 ft) long by 21.4m (70 ft) broad, protected on the east-north-east end by a trench some 7.9m (26 ft) broad from crest to crest, 2.7m - 3.1m (9 - 10 ft) across the bottom, 3.1m (10 ft) deep from the top of the scarp and 0.9 - 1.2m (3 - 4 ft) below the counterscarp. The slopes of the knoll on which it is situated are artificially scarped [1]. The broch was excavated by A O Curle in 1911 and at that time was already reduced almost to its foundations. Curle also compiled the field reports for the RCAHMS Inventory of Wigtown (1912).


The wall is about 3.86m (12 ft 8 in) thick and forms a central court 8.81m (29 ft) in diameter. The entrance was in the east-north-east, on the higher end of the hillock, 4.88m (16 ft) back from the top of the scarp of the ditch; the inner end was photographed [2, fig. 4]. There is a guard chamber on the right (west) which is unusual in having the base of its wall formed of large slabs set on edge [2, fig. 3]. It is also unusual in having a smaller annexe at its inner end. The greatest height of wall visible in 1912 was 0.71m (2 ft 4 in) but more than one third of it has been entirely removed.

The occupation layers found were thin – entirely absent in places – and Curle inferred that Teroy had not been inhabited for long.

Finds: Curle [2] describes these which include – 2 small pieces of dark red pottery, 1 lump of iron 1 lb 12 oz in weight, 1 upper stone of a rotary quern, 1 disc of coarse pottery perforated in the centre and 10cm (4 in) in diameter (rather large for a spindle whorl), some small particles of burnt bone, part of a cockle shell, a small ox bone, and particles of extremely corroded iron.

Sources: 1. NMRS site no. NX 06 SE 7: 2. Curle 1912 (plan and two photo-graphs): 3. RCAHMS 1912, 20-22, no. 28: 4. Feachem 1963: 5. RCAHMS 1987, 24, no. 158.

E W MacKie 2007


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions