Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Coich Burn

Broch (Iron Age)

Site Name Coich Burn

Classification Broch (Iron Age)

Canmore ID 6074

Site Number NC71SE 3

NGR NC 7880 1087

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/6074

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Clyne
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC71SE 3 7880 1087.

(NC 7880 1087) Broch (NR)

OS 6"map, (1969)

Situated on the edge of a ravine some 60 to 70ft above the burn, are the remains of a broch. The wall on the SW side has been demolished, but in the NW the outer face survives to a height of 3ft for a short distance, and in the E arc the inner face is 4ft high. The top of a chamber about 3ft across is exposed towards the NW arc.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1909.

A severely denuded broch, generally as described by RCAHMS, surviving as a pile of bare stones through which both wall faces protrude intermittently, indicating an overall diameter of 16.4m, and a wall thickness of 4.2m at the SE side. The whole SW arc has collapsed over the ravine leaving only the basal course of the outer face. The chamber noted by RCAHM in the NW arc cannot be seen; it was possibly a guard chamber as the entrance appears to have been in the WNW. There is no trace of secondary buildings or an outer defence; two modern walls extend NW and S from the broch.

Revised at 1/10,000.

Visited by OS (R D L) 23 April 1964 and (N K B) 18 December 1975.

Activities

Field Visit (19 August 1909)

23. Broch, Coich Burn. Situated on the top of a bank some 60' or 70' above the bed of the Coich Burn, ¼ m. above its junction with the River Brora, and on its E. bank, about 1 m. ENE. of Sciberscross, are the remains of a broch. Little of the structure is left. On the SW. the wall has been entirely demolished, and on the NW. the exterior face of the wall exists to a height of about 3', and that only for a short distance. In the interior a small portion of wall, about 4' high, remains on the E. side. The interior diameter has been 28' and the thickness of the wall 13'. In the wall towards the NW. the top of a chamber, about 3' across, is exposed. No other details are visible.

OS 6-inch map, Sutherland, Sheet xcvii.

RCAHMS 1911, visited (AOC) 19th August 1909.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions