Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Torran Dubhach

Battle Site (16th Century)

Site Name Torran Dubhach

Classification Battle Site (16th Century)

Canmore ID 6008

Site Number NC70SW 8

NGR NC 7080 0364

NGR Description NC 7080 0364, NC 7093 0364 and NC 7089 0359

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/6008

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Rogart
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC70SW 8 7080 0364, 7093 0364 and 7089 0359

(Name: NC 7094 0363) Site of the Conflict of (NAT) Torran Dubhach (NR) (A.D. 1517)

OS 6"map, Sutherland, 2nd ed., (1907)

Torran Dubhach: 'This name signifies the 'woeful' or 'sorrowful knoll' and applies to three small knolls situated on the N of the River Fleet. The conflict of Torran Dubhach took place in 1517, between the McKays of Strathnaver and the inhabitants of the SE of Sutherland. The former were totally routed after suffering considerable loss.'

Name Book 1873; Brocon nd.; H Morrison 1883; J Mackay 1895; A MacKay 1914.

Three natural mounds in cultivated ground, accentuated by being ploughed round the base and with field clearance stones dumped upon them.

Visited by OS (J M) 19 May 1981.

NC 708 036 A watching brief was carried out in November 2000 on the excavation of a trench for a water main adjacent to the site of the Battle of Torran Dubhach in 1517 (NMRS NC70SW 8). No archaeological features or objects were revealed.

Report to be lodged with Highland SMR.

Sponsor: Gordon Allen.

C Dagg 2001

Activities

Field Visit (6 July 1995)

NC70SW 8 7080 0364, 7093 0364 and 7089 0359

Three natural mounds, identified by previous authorities with a battle in 1517, are situated in an improved field and have been accentuated by ploughing around the base and supplemented by clearance. The two N mounds (NC 7080 0364, NC 7093 0364) are glacial in origin, while the S mound (NC 7089 0359) is a spur on the leading edge of the terrace above the haughland.

Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 6 July 1995.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions