Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Cladh Maireannach

Burial Ground (Medieval), Church (Medieval)(Possible)

Site Name Cladh Maireannach

Classification Burial Ground (Medieval), Church (Medieval)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) St Mirren's Church; Strathbrora

Canmore ID 5821

Site Number NC70NE 24

NGR NC 78359 09817

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/5821

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Rogart
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NC70NE 24 78359 09817

(NC 7835 0980) Cladh Maireannach (NAT)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1970).

Location formerly entered as NC 7835 0980.

See also NC70NE 39.

Cladh Maireannach - Applied to a graveyard it signifies the 'Everlasting Burying Place'.

Name Book 1871.

Cill Mhearain, St Mirren's Church, noted by Watson as one of the seven churches of Strathbrora, probably stood in this burial ground.

W J Watson 1926.

This graveyard has been renovated within the last 25 years. Within the graveyard are seven modern head stones and, lying flush with the turf, numerous cover-stones, the earliest date noted on these being 1717. At the gateway is a modern plaque dated 1956 which refers to the graveyard as Cladh Mherrin the ancient cemetery of St Mirren (Cladh Maireannach is probably the correct name). The graveyard lies within an extensive 19th century depopulated hamlet [NC70NE 39].

Visited by OS (WDJ), 20 April 1964 and (JB), 11 August 1975.

Activities

Field Visit (19 August 1909)

45. Constructions (remains of) and Old Graveyard, Sciberscross. In the haugh beside the River Brora, to the SSE. of Sciberscross House, are the remains of several constructions and an ancient burying­ ground called ‘Cladh Maireannach’. No stones with symbols are visible in the latter. The haugh has all been under cultivation.

RCAHMS 1911, visited (AOC) 19th August 1909.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions