Linear Earthwork (Period Unassigned)
- Council Scottish Borders, The
- Parish Oxnam
- Former Region Borders
- Former District Roxburgh
- Former County Roxburghshire
NT71SE 4 7539 1360 to 7524 1426
(NT 7524 1426 - NT 7539 1360) Earthwork (NR)
OS 6" map, (1962).
The apparent S end of this linear earthwork is now about 20 yds NE of the SW corner of the Roman camp (NT71SE 15), a cultivation having destroyed it S of this poing. The 1899 edition of the 6"map marks it as extending to just outside the corner, and there turning E to coalesce with the S rampart some 40 yds farther on; if this is correct, the earthwork may originally have rested on a small natural hollow which descends to the Kale Water here. Its best-preserved portion is near the S end, where it consists of the usual ditch and bank. From its present S end it runs nearly due N on a somewhat sinuous course, and is frequently broken by tracks; after passing the highway it shows signs of a spoil-bank on its W side. It ends, with a total length of about 780 yds, at a small wet hollow on the left bank of the burn that joins the Oxnam Water at Middlesknowes, being broken just short of the hollow by a wide traffic-gap where an old track comes down from the NE. The function of the work was no doubt to mark a boundary across Pennymuir Rig, where no natural feature exists to serve this purpose.
RCAHMS 1956, visited 1947.
This linear earthwork, consisting of a bank about 0.4m high with a ditch 0.7m deep, is as described by the RCAHMS.
Visited by OS (WDJ) 13 September 1960 and (RD) 30 May 1968
No change to field report of 30 May 1968.
Visited by OS (BS) 8 September 1976.