Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Wedderlie House

House (17th Century), Tower (16th Century)(Possible)

Site Name Wedderlie House

Classification House (17th Century), Tower (16th Century)(Possible)

Canmore ID 57434

Site Number NT65SW 10

NGR NT 63941 51535

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/57434

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Westruther
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT65SW 10.00 63941 51535

NT65SW 10.00 64010 51588 Coach Building

(NT 63941 51535) Wedderlie House (NR)

Wedderlie House (see plan in D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892) is a composite building comprising a small tower probably of the late 16th century (D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892) to which a larger house was added in 1680 (the date carved on one of the window lintels on the N side of the house.) The old fortalice, which occupies the W end of the long range of building, is L-shaped, with a small wing projecting N, and is three storeys high. The late 17th century addition is also on the L-plan, extending to E and N. It is three storeys in height, its walls being rough-cast while those of the earlier portion are not.

In 1258, Wedderlie was owned by Sir Robert de Polwarth, but in 1327 Sir Richard Edgar was granted the property, commencing a family occupation of over 400 years. Wedderlie was time and again ravaged by English raiders. It was acquired by Lord Blantyre in 1733. In the mid-19th century it was said to be crumbling into utter disrepair, though it is now well cared for and occupied.

N Tranter 1962; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1892; RCAHMS 1915.

Wedderlie House, name confirmed by Mrs E L S Elliot, owner, was in good condition and in use as a residence when seen in 1955, but in 1963 it was unoccupied due to restoration work being carried out at that time.

Visited by OS (JFC) 15 February 1955 and (WDJ) 7 November 1963.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE:

Dates. 17th cent. Keep.

c. 1680 addition of wing.

Owner. Mrs E.L.S Elliot.

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Country Life Magazine. 17th July 1942 - Sale notice.

Activities

Photographic Survey (16 May 1960)

Photographic survey of the exterior and interior of Wedderlie House, Berwickshire, by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Work in May 1960.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions