Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lilliard's Stone, Lilliard's Edge

Stone (Modern)

Site Name Lilliard's Stone, Lilliard's Edge

Classification Stone (Modern)

Canmore ID 57010

Site Number NT62NW 7

NGR NT 6196 2749

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/57010

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Ancrum
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Activities

Field Visit (13 October 1937)

Lilliard's Stone, Lilliard's Edge (Site).

Lilliard's Stone, situated on the summit of Lilliard's Edge, is modern; but as the site is connected with a well-known Border tradition which, although it has been current for more than two hundred years, is nevertheless wholly apocryphal, it is desirable to put the true facts on record.

The myth relates to a "fair maiden Lilliard", whose exploits at the battle of Ancrum Moor, fought on 27 February 1544-5, were recorded in doggerel verse on an earlier memorial which was lying in pieces in 1743. There is, however, plenty of evidence to show that the place-name was established as such long before the date of the battle, while less than forty years later "Lidgate" appeared instead of "Lilliard", in "Lidgates Crose" (1). Four days before the battle artillery was brought from Edinburgh Castle to "Lyliattis Cros"; in 1378 the Scottish and English Commissioners met at "Lillyat Cros" or "Lyliot-crosse" (2); while the same name appears with a suffix as "Lillesietburn" in an early 12th-century charter (3), and in a still earlier form as "Lilisyhates". Its obviously contains the same element as that of the adjoining parish of Lilliesleaf, which is given as "Lillescliva" in 1124 (4).

The cross with which the name is associated in 1378 may be the magna petra that the monks of Melrose set up as a boundary stone at "Morric", on the N. slope of Lilliards's Edge, in the reign of William the Lion (5).

RCAHMS 1956, visited 13 October 1937

(1) Hamilton Papers, ii, No, 467, p.635

(2) Cal. of Docts., iv, Nos. 242 and 264

(3) Liber de Melros, pp.78, 224.

(4) Lawrie, Charters, L.

(5) Liber de Melros, p.78. Cf. also THAS, 1904, 70 ff.

Field Visit (10 December 1963)

NT62NW 7 6196 2749.

(NT 6194 2748) Lilliard's Stone (NR).

OS 6"map, Roxburghshire, (1923).

NT 6196 2749. A slab inserted in the inside face of the north-east wall of a small, rectangular, brick-walled enclosure, bears the following inscription:-

"Fair Maid Lilliard lies under this stane,

little was her stature but muckle was her fame,

upon the English loons she laid monie thumps,

and when her legs were cuttit off she fought upon her stumps.

AD 1544".

Visited by OS(WDJ) 10 December 1963.

Sbc Note (21 March 2016)

Visibility: This was the site of an archaeological monument, which may no longer be visible.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions