Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Fulton Tower

Tower House (16th Century)

Site Name Fulton Tower

Classification Tower House (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Rule Water; Fulton Farm

Canmore ID 56881

Site Number NT61NW 15

NGR NT 60545 15809

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/56881

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Bedrule
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT61NW 15 60545 15809

(NT 60541581) Fulton Tower (NR) (In Ruins).

OS 6" map, Roxburghshire, (1917-38).

Fulton Tower. This small tower-house of the 16th century stands about a mile and a half S of Bedrule, E of the road that flanks Rule Water. It is oblong on plan but for a circular stair-tower projecting from the E. angle and measures 22 ft 9 in. from NW. to SE. by 30 ft 6 in. from NE to SW. Neither of the two surviving storeys has been vaulted, and both are incomplete, their SE wall with the greater part of the stair-tower being demolished. The other walls, however, which are built of roughly coursed harled rubble, stand to an average height of 18 ft. The entrance cannot be traced. On the ground floor there are two oval gun-loops facing NW and a fireplace in the SW gable, while on the floor above can be seen the remains of a window facing NE with a fireplace opposite to it, the latter having a locker in one jamb.

In 1570 Margaret Hume of Cowdenknowes is liferented in the lands of Fulton before her marriage to William Turnbull, son and heir of Thomas Turnbull of Bedrule.

RCAHMS 1956.

As described by the RCAHMS 1956.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 17 February 1967.

Activities

Note (2 November 2015)

This monument was delisted and was removed from the list of buildings of special architectural or historic interest.

The structure is still designated as a scheduled monument under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979.

Information from Historic Environment Scotland, 2 November 2015

Sbc Note

Visibility: Upstanding building, which may not be intact.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions