Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Haddington, Court Street, Palace Of Haddington

Palace (Medieval)

Site Name Haddington, Court Street, Palace Of Haddington

Classification Palace (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) King Street

Canmore ID 56510

Site Number NT57SW 27

NGR NT 5133 7383

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/56510

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Haddington
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT57SW 27 5133 7383.

(NT 5133 7383) The Palace of Haddington stood in King Street, now Court Street, on the site of the present County Buildings. (See NT57SW 138 5133 7383.) Remains of its vaulting were found in 1833 when the site was being excavated. It was an occasional residence of William the Lion (1165-1214) and the birthplace of Alexander II in 1198.

C E Green 1907

No further information was found.

Visited by OS (BS) 9 July 1975

Haddington, although an early royal burgh, did not have a castle. Gray and Jamieson (1944) describe a 'palace' (referred to by Green, supra) as the site where the sixth earl of Athol was murdered in 1242.

R Gourlay and A Turner 1977

Activities

Publication Account (1978)

Haddington, although an early royal burgh, was an anomaly for it did not have a castle. Gray and Jamieson described a 'palace' in the west end of the High Street as the site where the sixth earl of Athol was murdered in 1242 (1944, 139). Their belief in the 'palace' was strengthened by the discovery of fragments of arched Norman masonry on the site of the County Buildings in 1833 (Gray and Jamieson, 1944, 139).

Information from ‘Historic Haddington: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1978).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions