Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Nunraw House, Dovecot

Dovecot (16th Century)

Site Name Nunraw House, Dovecot

Classification Dovecot (16th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Doocot

Canmore ID 56453

Site Number NT57SE 58

NGR NT 59732 70687

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/56453

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Garvald And Bara
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT57SE 58 59732 70687

See also NT57SE 5.00.

(NT 59732 70687) Dovecot (NR)

OS 6" map (1969)

Dovecot, Nunraw: This 16th century beehive type dovecot stands 50 yds N of Nunraw (NT57SE 8). It is 57ft 3ins in circumference near the ground, setting back in stages like a pagoda, and surmounted by a stone glover. The walls are 5ft thick at ground level, built in four stages, the first and second stage being of random rubble and the third and fourth stages of dressed stone; there are four string courses. It has a single door and window. Entry for the pigeons is by the glover and by 24 entry holes, cut in a line in the wall, with a broad stone ledge. There are said to be 450 stone nests; the dovecot is in use as a store. Probably this was once a typical beehive, and the domed roof has collapsed and been replaced by the upper stages of masonry (D C Bailey and M C Tindall 1963).

RCAHMS 1924, visited 1919; J Whitaker 1938; C McWilliam 1978

Site Management (4 August 2008)

16th century. 4-stage, beehive dovecot, tapering to a late 19th century, hexagonal birdcage cupola. Rubble with dividing rat courses; dressed red sandstone cupola on rubble base. Dovecot reaches 22' with walls 3' 8" thick. Low door with chamfered arrises to surround, and window on ground stage currently blocked. 24 flight holes above 2nd stage rat course. Former lean-to roof to cupola bearing stone thistle, now disappeared.

The number of flight holes is unusually large for the number of boxes, especially in conjunction with the birdcage openings. (Historic Scotland)

Activities

Field Visit (29 August 1919)

Some 50 yards north of the house is a 16th century dovecot circular on plan, rising 22 feet in four tiers to a modern cupola.

RCAHMS 1924, visited 29 August 1919.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions