Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Lauder, General

Burgh (Medieval), Town (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Lauder, General

Classification Burgh (Medieval), Town (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 55883

Site Number NT54NW 54

NGR NT 53047 47606

NGR Description Centred on NT 53047 47606

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/55883

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Lauder
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT54NW 54 53 47.

(Incorporates deleted no )

Lauder is traditionally said to have been a royal burgh, erected by William the Lion, 1298 x 1328. However, there are objections to this, and it seems likely that Lauder, if it was not a 13th-century burgh, became a burgh only after being granted to Sir James Douglas, 1324 x 1325. Lauder was dependent on the earls of Douglas until the forfeiture of 1455.

G S Pryde 1965.

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Gauche view of Lauder by Maurer(?), c.1760's, hanging in Thirlestane Castle

Activities

Watching Brief (9 March 2016)

AOC Archaeology Groups was commissioned to undertake an archaeological watching brief on the topsoil strip for single storey house extension at 5 East High Street, Lauder.

The works were conducted under ideal archaeological conditions in a single phase of works on 9th March 2016. The excavations were no more than 0.40 m deep and between 0.80 m to 0.90 m. In total c.12.0 m of foundation was excavated. No significant features or artefacts were revealed during the archaeological works.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions