Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Melrose, General

Burgh (Medieval), Town (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Melrose, General

Classification Burgh (Medieval), Town (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 55760

Site Number NT53SW 50

NGR NT 5477 3397

NGR Description Centred on NT 5477 3397

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Melrose
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT53SW 50 5477 3397

The extent of the burgh of Melrose (NT 54 33) was defined by a boundary ditch called 'Tonman's Dyke', which may have been defensible. The ditch existed in the 12th century, and possibly goes back to the time of the foundation of the town. In later times crosses were erected at the entrances to the town and at the points where the direction of the boundary changed. The original name was 'Little Fordell'.

J Curle 1935

Mentioned as burgh of barony in 1605; re-erected burgh of barony in 1609; became a burgh of regality in 1621.

G S Pryde 1965.

Architecture Notes

NT53SW 50 5477 3397 Centre


Collection items LOR M/41/1 and LOR J/3/1/1-5 (Robert and Dorothea Mary Jeffrey Memorial) have been entered in this general site because at time of entry it was not possible to determine in which of the churchyards in Melrose the memorial is located (AC 7 May 2002).


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions